American Girl Lending Program FAQ-Kit
Can Kit be reserved or placed on hold?
Yes, just call, stop in or request her online.
What is the Borrowing Period?
1 week. You must return the doll during our operating hours.
What Comes with Kit?
- 1 Doll
- Set of doll clothes
- The first book about the doll
- A journal to record the fun things Kit gets to do
- Hair Brush
- Carrying case
How Do I Care for her?
- Brush and style Kit’s hair.
- Do your best to keep Kit clean, but sometimes accidents happen. Here is a good way to clean her face. First, protect your doll by pulling her hair back from her face and cover her clothing. Mix 1 Tablespoon of baking soda with warm water, then dip a washcloth in warm water and rub the doll’s face with the baking soda paste, being careful not to get her eyes wet. When finished, dry her face with a soft towel.
Please do not:
- Cut or shampoo her hair (the hair can get frizzy and damaged.)
Want to know more about Kit?
- Who she is: a bright light in the dark days of the Great Depression
- Where she lives: Cincinnati, Ohio
- In her day: Many families couldn’t afford to buy food or pay rent
- Nickname: Kit! Her real name is Margaret Mildred
- Likes: the Cincinnati Reds baseball team
- Best friend: schoolmate Ruthie Smithens, who loves princess stories and movie stars
- Hero: Amelia Earhart, a famous and daring pilot
- Memorable moment: finding a homeless old dog and giving her a new life
- Fun fact: The Kittredges start raising chickens and Kit sells the eggs door-to-door
- Favorite book: Robin Hood and His Adventures
- Dislikes: her household chores, which never seem to end
- What she’d rather be doing: writing and reporting for her own newspaper
- What changes her life: Her family takes in boarders to earn money because Dad lost his job
- What she discovers: Family and friendship are worth more than anything you could ever own
2 Kids Clubs Starting Soon!
New this year is our Caring Kids Club, a book club for grades 3-5 all about generosity, helping other and giving back. The first book we will read is Charlotte’s Web and will meet right after school every Thursday in October until 4:00. As a group we will decided on a project to do to help out our community in some way. This program will conclude on “Make a Difference Day”, Saturday October 27th. Sign up by September 20th so you can get your copy of Charlotte’s Web and start reading. Parents or adult caregivers needing a library or school staff member to walk a child to the library from KES must sign a permission slip first.
Back for a the second year, LEGO Club will begin on Thursday, November 1st and run every Thursday through December 13th, with the exception of Thanksgiving. Kids in grades 1-5 are welcome to join. Each week we will meet right after school until 4:00, exploring different themes and ideas. Parents or adult caregivers needing a library or school staff member to walk a child to the library from KES must sign a permission slip first.
Call the library at 772-5022 to sign up for these programs! Space is limited.
Reading Rockets-GREAT resource for parents to help your child read and succeed at it this summer.
Click here to visit the site.
Let’s Go batty! Come build a bat house!
This is just one of the weekly activities being held during our Summer Reading Program. Starting June 19th, sign up for this and many others activities we have to offer during the Summer months!
Summer Reading Program-Dream Big Read!
Click on the link to access the Kensington Public Library 2012 Summer Reading Program Calendar.
Miss Lindsey Also Recommends: